Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Musical Torture

I was reading the Wall Street Journal today and ran across the following article on torture through music, by Terry Teachout - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123456310592185753.html. Apparently, some of the music I listen to on a regular basis is or has been used in interrogation of suspected terrorists. I don't quite know if I should feel insulted or offended by this knowledge. On the one hand, it would seem to indicate that my tastes in music are a bit unsophisticated. However, I might also choose to interpret this as a sign that I am a pretty tough guy, if I can voluntarily subject myself to torture on a regular basis.

Here is a list of torture music from zero dB and Reprieve, with my music in bold.

AC/DC ("Hells Bells," "Shoot to Thrill")
Aerosmith

Barney the Dinosaur (theme song)
Bee Gees ("Stayin' Alive")
Britney Spears
Bruce Springsteen ("Born in the USA")
Christina Aguilera ("Dirrty")
David Gray ("Babylon")
Deicide
Don McLean ("American Pie")
Dope ("Die MF Die," "Take Your Best Shot")
Dr. Dre
Drowning Pools ("Bodies")
Eminem ("Kim," "Slim Shady," "White America")
Lil' Kim
Limp Bizkit
Matchbox Twenty ("Gold")
Meat Loaf
Metallica ("Enter Sandman")
Neil Diamond ("America")
Nine Inch Nails ("March of the Pigs," "Mr. Self Destruct")
Prince ("Raspberry Beret")
Queen ("We Are the Champions")
Rage Against the Machine ("Killing in the Name")
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Saliva ("Click Click Boom")
The "Sesame Street" theme song
Tupac ("All Eyes on Me")

No comments:

Post a Comment