Friday, May 24, 2019

A Brush with Death!

We had an intense storm front blow through the DC area yesterday afternoon and it knocked out the power in our neighborhood for about eight hours.  It was tough, but as my Twitter feed shows, I am a survivor!

6:05 PM - 23 May 2019
Power has been out in my section of Arlington for almost 3 hours now.  I've slept for 2 1/2 of that, but it sure feels like the end of the world.

6:29 PM - 23 May 2019
Daylight is slowly fading and I fear the mobs with torches will materialize soon.

6:31 PM - 23 May 2019
Without the microwave, I cannot reheat the leftovers in the slowly warming fridge.  I am staring into the ugly face of starvation.

6:46 PM - 23 May 2019
Without the ability to pay electronically, this afternoon's farmers market has virtually shut down.  Real "Lord of the Flies" stuff, I tell ya!

6:50 PM - 23 May 2019
Looks like there are lights on in the building across the street.  I pray they will invade and annex us and bring and end to the madness.

6:55 PM - 23 May 2019
Sirens and honking.  I've opened my window for the first time... ever, because the AC is off. This is what the fall of society sounds like.

7:06 PM - 23 May 2019
Phone battery is down to 30%.  I will soon lose all contact with the real world as my neighborhood slowly devolves into anarchy.

7:25 PM - 23 May 2019
I found a portable power supply.  Thanks to #byumath.  But I feel like using it is only postponing the inevitable.  For now I am holding on to my sanity.

7:44 PM - 23 May 2019
Electricity and civilization have returned to the neighboring buildings.  My descent into primitivism is beginning to feel like nature has something personal against me.

8:02 PM - 23 May 2019
If I wasn't such a cheerful, upbeat person this whole experience would turn me dark and gothic.  And then the end would come on a real downbeat note.

8:08 PM - 23 May 2019
My wife and I have started a small campfire in the living room using old magazines and wooden furniture.   We are roasting some small animal we could not identify in the darkness.  I hope it's not the cat as I love her.

8:13 PM - 23 May 2019
You can live about 100 hours without water.  And up to a month without food.  Without electricity,  overnight seems unlikely.  #theendisnear

8:18 PM - 23 May 2019
There is something primeval and visceral about fire.  When you try to touch it, it hurts like hell!

8:28 PM - 23 May 2019
We have decided to venture out of doors.  If the mobs don't get us the zombies surely will.  Dont bother sending help.

9:03 PM - 23 May 2019
My first experience looting tonight at 7-11 was not what I expected.  Everyone stood patiently in line, everyone paid, and the power was on.  Elsewhere anarchy reigns.

9:46 PM - 23 May 2019
It has been 8 hours now and Arlington literally looks like King's Landing at the end of Game of Thrones second to last episode.  Literally!

9:47 PM - 23 May 2019
The power just came back on 30 seconds ago.  It all feels like a dream now.




No comments:

Post a Comment