Thursday, March 28, 2019

Musical Gems - Something Good Coming

Tom Petty died on October 2nd, 2017.  He was one of America's most prolific singer\songwriters with a stretch of hits running from the late seventies up to his death.  He was the driving force behind Tom Petty and Heartbreakers and a member of the 1980's supergroup, The Traveling Wilburys.

He had a knack of putting together songs with catchy melodies and thought-provoking lyrics.  Something Good Coming from the Heartbreaker's 2010 Album, Mojo, is a good example.





Watching the water
Watching the coast
Suddenly I know
What I want the most
And I want to tell you
Still I hold back
I need some time
Get my life on track
I know that look on your face
But there's something lucky about this place
And there's something good coming
For you and me
Something good coming
There has to be
And I'm thinking about mama
And about the kids
And the way we lived
And the things we did
As she never had a chance
Never caught a break
And how we paid
For our big mistakes
I know so well the look on your face
And there's something lucky about this place
There's something good coming just over the hill
There's something good coming I know it will
And I'm in for the long run
Wherever it goes
Riding the river
Wherever it goes
And I'm an honest man
Work's all I know
You take that away
Don't know where to go
And I know that look that's on your face
There's something lucky about this place
There's something good coming
For you and me
Something good coming
There has to be

Songwriters: PETTY THOMAS EARL
Something Good Coming lyrics © Adria K Music

Petty said about this song:
'Yeah, it’s more like an Appalachian blues. I really like that Appalachian music. In a way, I hesitated to even show them this one because I thought we might be going off the track thematically. But we were out of songs one day, and I said, “Well I have this one thing...” They all went crazy over it...”Oh no, we’ve got to do this!” We really captured it in just a few takes. I’m glad we did it.'

In addtion to Petty singing and on acoustic guitar the song features, Mike Campbell on lead guitar, Scott Thurston on rhythm guitar, Benmont Tench on keyboards, Ron Blair playing bass, and Steve Ferrone drumming.

This is a melancholy song and its mood captures the way I felt the weeks after he died.  It's a very beautiful song with a perfect blending of melody, playing, and lyrics (of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment